My sister came to visit us for a few days while school is out so we are staying in Antigua. Antigua is the oldest city in Central America, gorgeous, full of history, and has lots of markets!
When we arrived Sunday we did some shopping, eating, and exploring. I tried the only Guatemalan food left on my bucket list, Ka-kik and the kids got their Choco Bananos they have been patiently waiting for.
Monday we went to Pacaya Volcano. I knew from a past experience with Pacaya that the altitude plus the hike is killer, especially for the kids so we happily took horses up. It was the kids first time on horses and they loved it! The volcano has great views of other volcanos and the kids got to roast marshmallows in lava. I talked to my guide almost the entire way up because he reminded me so much of my students. We hiked down instead of horses and the kids did great. After we got back we went around the markets some more and crashed early.
Tuesday was probably one of my favorite days in Guatemala so far. We took a 6 hour 4 wheeler tour through 6 Mayan towns. We got to see a macademia plantation, how chocolate is prossesed, jade carving workshop, Mayan women weaving corte, Mayan markets, the first church in Guatemala, views for miles, and so much more. It was my first time to drive a 4 wheeler and my first experience with driving on Guatemalan roads. I was so scared before we left, but it actually turned out great! The owner gave me a 2 minute tutorial on how to drive before we left then just let us go. Jackson said that was irresponsible of her 😂. The kids were excited/nervous, June was even tearing up a little before we left (she is a little scared of new things) but immediately after taking off they loved it and got very comfortable with riding. It was a complete 6 hours, our tour guide was very knowledgeable and patient and sweet. It was something I have never paid for before but was completely worth it!
Tomorrow my sister leaves and the kids and I head south to Esquintla to visit a family of one of my students.
Jackson riding up the volcano
Ka-kik
June and my sister going up Pacaya, I promise June is happy
Laila and I going up Pacaya
The kids in front of Pacaya
3 more volcanoes
Roasting marshmallows in lava
Starting back up/down volcano
Mayan market
Mayan mask carved out of jade
My babies in front of the oldest church in Guatemala
My sister and Laila on their 4 wheeler
Weaving
Driving through the towns was not as scary as I thought.
Market In a Mayan town
June and I riding
My reader and I relaxing in the hotel

No comments:
Post a Comment