Jack is finally here! He came down for a week to hang out, travel to Huehuetenango, and take the kids back with him to Chattanooga for my final leg of traveling to places that aren't as kid friendly (although they have surpassed all expectations so they could have traveled no prob). An hour after they take off my friend and coworker arrives and we'll head out.
We were so excited to pick him up at the airport! The kids couldn't stop telling him about school and all they've done so far. I had already rented a car so we jumped in and started driving! Every time I come to Guatemala I end up doing things I say I would never do and this time it's drive! The drivers here are crazy, there are no rules, no street signs, tons of pot holes, but one interesting thing is I have never seen a Guatemalan driver get angry. They are the most chill drivers and go with the flow when getting cut off or when someone is super slow. I also have never seen a wreck.
Traffic was atrocious leaving the city and the typical 2-3 hour drive to Atitlan ended up being about 8. Atitlan was gorgeous, we wish we could have stayed longer but we got to enjoy the views and kayaking and were back on the road before lunch.
Then we were off to Huehue, the trip was easy and I really enjoyed driving!! We stopped in the city of Huehuetenango dropped our stuff at a hotel and walked down the block to an orphanage we have been talking to. We got to talk to one of the directors, get a tour, and drop off some goodies. They are doing some really good things at that orphanage, I hope to make another trip there for a mission trip some day.
Last stop in Huehuetenango city was the ruins of Zaculeu. They were amazing! They are around 1500 year old Mayan ruins. If you want to know the interesting history, check Wikipedia. We loved it though, well worth a trip out there if you are near Huehue.
Next we headed to visit Elisa's parents house in La Democracia. I have been there before but Jack and the kids haven't and they loved getting to meet them. Jack is in heaven with all the food and views, the kids love the animals everywhere, and there are 2 tiny babies for me to cuddle with so we're all happy!
We spent the rest of our time with the family. We even got to cross into Mexico! We had a great time!
Kids kayaking on Atitlan

No comments:
Post a Comment